- Detach all USB devices from the host.
The Recovery CD installs the ESXi image on the first USB memory device that it discovers. Unplug all USB devices before you use the Recovery CD to rebuild the ESX image on the internal USB device.
- For Dell servers with DRAC 5 firmware, disable the Virtual Flash drive.
- Insert the Recovery CD into the ESXi host.
- Use the system BIOS to change the boot order so that the CD-ROM drive is listed first. To modify the boot sequence:
- Reboot the host.
- While the host is powering on, press a function key or Delete to open the BIOS setup.
- Select the CD-ROM drive and move it to the first position in the list.
The option to open the BIOS setup might be different for your server. You might need to open the BIOS configuration screens to modify the boot setting. As the host continues to power on, the Recovery CD Welcome screen appears.
- Press Enter to continue through the screens.
To cancel the recovery operation, press the Esc key. If you press the Esc key, the host reboots and the data contained on your server’s embedded USB flash remains intact. If you press Enter through all the screens and the recovery operation begins, you cannot cancel or undo the recovery.
- Press Enter to reboot the host.
- Remove the CD from the CD-ROM drive.
- Reopen the system BIOS to change the boot order so that the USB flash is listed first.
- Verify that the host boots into ESXi.
Jul 29 2010